Friday, November 05, 2004

New directions and reflections

Last night I jumped ship... I left the Microsoft world, and entered Indian territory. Yes, I installed Apache! Why? Well, I wanted to explore the worlds of PHP and MySQL. What better way to wrap the 3 amigos together. I also picked up a book on PHP and MySQL development.

First reflections? Apache has a learning curve... This is probably obvious. No GUI interface, just getting right down to the httpd.conf file. That's fine. There's documentation. I'm a geek, it only took me 20 minutes to get it running my very first PHP page.

As for PHP? I don't think it's going to be fun. It looks a lot like ASP/JavaScript stuff... But then again, when I was doing ASP classic, I had very poor documentation skills. Also, I don't have an IDE or WYSIWYG editor, so it's all notepad.

I was hoping that I could get the mono.mod for Apache and do some .Net stuff, but according to the documentation I read, the mono.mod (sorry if I hacked that up) only works on Linux so far. Hmmm... I only looked for about 5 minutes.

A different subject all together, blogs. I am wondering why all the excitement over the weblog 'technology'. The technology is not all that difficult. Check out this page. It's an aspx page that reads entries in a database into a repeater with some simple formatting. Basically, it's a weblog for our website.

I guess the excitement isn't the technology, but really the culture or possibilities. It simplifies the aggregation of information. And you no longer have to roll your own, you can simply sign up with a free services and off you go.

So those are my thoughts. I'm taking my wife away this weekend... Don't try to look for us, we don't want to be found. We're going to leave our cell phones off, plug our ears, and read some books.

And no, I'll be reading Clive Cussler, not PHP/MySQL.

No comments: