Monday, September 22, 2008

Why I don't like Dongles

What is a Dongle? A dongle is a small piece of hardware that connects to a computer.

Dongles stick out in places where they can get broken. Like when you put your foot down near a computer on the floor.



This was my main Thumb drive, where I kept all the little utilities I could carry from PC to PC. It had data files, and all sorts of other goodies I used frequently.

Of course, we Montoya's, er, I mean Kenyon's, have never taken defeat easily. Let's see what we will have to work with:


Hmm... I don't think anything got shorted, I think it just snapped cleanly off. Nothing was being read/written, so we should be good. Not a lot to solder back together, but I may be able to make do. I may also be able to pick up another connector with good terminals.

Anybody ever attempt this before?

This is a broken 2Gb Kingston DataTraveler if anybody's googling for it. I'll report my results.

No comments: